Alabama Chanin Suede Colored Jersey



There was an Alabama Chanin collection featuring Suede colored jersey a few years ago. It was the perfect basic color, going with almost everything, yet beautiful enough to stand on its own. When it finally became available for purchase, I splurged and bought six yards. I had dreamed of making up a "capsule" wardrobe of basics in this lovely color. 

Time ticked by, and last December I finally dusted off my Suede stash and began a bit of a basic stitching marathon. My first garment was a pair of Alabama Chanin pants. You can read more about those here.




I had joined the Alabama Chanin Build a Wardrobe 2017 program (more about that here), and had some really great patterns to try out. The pants fit perfectly, so my next pattern to try was the car coat. Because I'm rather short, I was a little apprehensive about the fit of the car coat, but I just had to try it out. 




I ended up sizing down, but should have cut it even smaller. The back fits really nicely, but the front has too much fabric for me. One day, I'll get in there and re-work the pattern, but for now, I'll just wear it as-is, more like a housecoat. I would usually just roll up the sleeves, but it added to the excess of fabric in this case, so I cut off about five inches. Being a double layered garment makes it warm and cozy.

My next item was a mid-length fitted skirt. This garment is so quick to cut and stitch. I was wearing it within a day. I like that I'll be able to layer this under a few of my shorter skirts and dresses.  Here it is with an indigo T-shirt top (full story here.)






Sorry for the not-so-great selfie shot, but I liked this outfit ~ printed top, Suede skirt, with my Alabama Chanin indigo blazer. I wore it with a super cute pair of brown Fiorentini+Baker ankle boots. 



Next up was the wrap top! I love wrap tops, wrap tunics, wrap dresses, wrap cardigans, wrap sweaters....you get the picture. 




The Alabama Chanin wrap pattern did not disappoint! I really like the fit of this top. I can foresee making quite a few versions of this top (and eventually tunics and dresses). Since this was a single layered garment, I felt it could use a little extra weight at the hem, so I added binding




It's easiest to pin, then baste the binding on, take out the pins, then secure your binding with a stretch stitch. 



If you can imagine how much easier it is to do the Cretan stitch without all those pins!




Here it is layered with my white Alabama Chanin fitted t-shirt (full story here.)






I like the detail of extra panels in back.




 Here's the inside tie. You can see the rosebud stitch on the skirt waistband.




I've dressed it up with an ochre bolero with burgundy stitching (more here). 

I think I have enough fabric left for one more garment. I'd like to try to make a pattern from my favorite slouchy, warm up top. Fingers crossed it turns out!!

I feel I've only touched on the versatility of these garments in Suede. Unfortunately, the color has been retired. But you never know, sometimes Alabama Chanin brings things out again. 




10 comments

  1. Love all the garments. I have to check out the wrap top pattern, I never noticed it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy~ Thank you. I think you'll really like the wrap pattern too. I can't decide if I'm going to make another top or a dress next.Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Patti! I like the idea of doing a coordinating wardrobe. Now that you have tried the wrapped top, I will add that to my list of things to make. Since the weather is improving, I have no more excuses in putting off spraying --- the scary part. I was wondering about the jacket so now I have my answer ---it needs to be tweaked. Actually finding the Tilton pants to be useful for carrying around a mini office --- phone, paper, pen. Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Elsie, I can see you walking around with your pants pockets filled :) I do really like the wrap pattern, and hope you'll like it too. Did you get to try on any wrap garments? This pattern fits similar to the green and black wrap dress that I had. Good luck with spraying. I know you'll do great once you get started! We are still snowing here, so no spraying for me for a while.

      Delete
  3. Going to say the same as the other comments; you've inspired me to give my wrap pattern a try. I like the idea of working up a plain one first just to see how I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I do! The only tricky part for me was lining up the breast points. I hadn't done anything like that before. But once I puzzled it out, it was fine. If you get stuck anywhere, just give a shout out. Happy stitching!

      Delete
  4. Hi Patti. It is always a pleasure and enlightenment to read your new posts. I love the idea of basting bindings first ad I identified with getting hung up on pins! I bought several yards of discontinued pistachio a while back, am pondering what to make. I will perhaps try some pants. You are always an inspiration. Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie~ Glad you're here! Keep us posted on what you make with your pistachio fabric.I'm sure it will be beautiful. I think I saw a really pretty wrap dress once in pistachio and ???? natural??? If I come across the picture again I'll post it here in a reply.

      Delete
  5. You are so prolific! Inspiring me to get to work! I almost finished my wrap top last summer...but it just doesn't fit me very well. I'm going to finish the binding and figure out what is wrong before doing an embellished version. I really love the pattern...but not sure the large was big enough for my shoulders. Never thought about finishing the hem! Could help with the single layer garments feeling too floppy as they lack weight sometimes. Great idea! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan~

    I'm glad you like the hem idea. Sometimes it's just what a garment needs.

    Sorry your wrap top is off. It's always such a bummer when things don't quite fit! I wish I were more knowledgeable about fit/alterations, as I have a few things I'd like to tweak, but just don't know how to do it, and so there they sit, forlornly in a little pile. Isn't the new School of Making Stitchalong FB group so inspiring and filled with useful tips? They've talked about adding side or back gussets. What about adding a little shoulder gusset before you put the binding on your top? I've never done the shoulders like that before, but maybe just a quick baste in to see?? Or if the shoulders are snug because the back us too narrow, perhaps a center back gusset? Or better yet, post your dilemma in the FB group and I bet one of those ladies may have the answer. Hmmm, I think I'll revisit my misfit pile and see if I have a question to post there. Ha! Fingers crossed we both get the advice we need. :)

    ReplyDelete