A few Alabama Chanin Basics



Having a surplus of Apple, Burgundy, and Plum fabric, it was time to make something!




I had stitched up this top years ago. I've been envisioning a basic fitted dress to coordinate with it. Plum was a lovely fit.




I used the Alabama Chanin fitted dress pattern, raised the neckline a little, and shortened the shoulder straps.




My first garment using the feather stitch on the binding. Why did I wait so long? It's fairly quick and oh so beautiful!




Next up, a cropped wrap top using wet-paint stenciled fabric I had made years ago. You can read more about wet-paint stenciling here. I only had a few precious scraps of this fabric left, so the cropped wrap was the perfect project.




And the back:




My last basic (for now) is a pair of Alabama Chanin shorts.




I sized down to XS, left off the drawstring casing, and added foldover elastic. These are very comfortable and lightweight, perfect for summertime lounging, hiking, and gardening. I had about one-half yard of parchment Alabama Chanin 100% organic cotton jersey fabric, just the right amount for these longish shorts that hit just above the knee. I'm going to scrounge around through my scraps and see if I have enough to make a couple more for the summer. I also just cut and stenciled a pair of black on black shorts! I'm excited to see how they turn out.

What is your favorite thing to make with leftover fabric?









5 comments

  1. What a nice basic dress in my favorite color! I will definitely have to try one of these. Your feather stitch is perfect; I will have to make mine wider after studying yours. The facet top is gorgeous! I notice that you don't have threads hanging at the bottom of this piece. What is your secret? I am trying to start my stitching further from the hem, taking a regular size stitch on top, followed by a long stitch on the back (a couple of these) so that I can come back up filling the large blank spots with regular stitches on the top and then proceeding as usual. Looks like - - - and ends up - - - - - on top. A-line dress is coming along more quickly than I expected with the new leaves pattern. The black/gold is hard to see so I am just winging it a bit. Thank you for always sparking new ideas. Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elsie~
      I like your solution for hiding the tails. I'm also having trouble seeing the paint on my black, even with the sparkly addition! I find I can only stitch it in good light on the darker colors. Little by little; right?

      Delete
  2. Black/gold combination was pretty without stitching but I wasn't sure how it would hold up in the wash and if 2 layers would hold together without stitching around the elements. Cheryl and I are using the little sprayer to stencil but having some trouble with clogging. My husband and I found that we needed to clean the sprayer in between spraying each panel. I have 3 factory kits and they were all stenciled with a little sparkle --- black, earth, and plum kits. Ott light seems to help on the black/gold (more than 50% gold) on black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend also had the clogging issue. She found that adding the thinner to the paint helped. I'll have to dig my Ott light out and see if it helps. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. I thought about using some thinner but didn't want to try it after I finished the first of four panels to be consistent. I will pass the info on to Cheryl; she is very adventurous and has made so many beautiful pieces. Good to know that it helped your friend. Thank you, Elsie

    ReplyDelete