Linen



I've recently rediscovered linen, with all it's lovely slubbiness and texture, ranging from rustic to delicate handkerchief, providing versatility for a variety of projects. Details such as hemstitch and fringe or tassels always catch my eye. Having a little more time on my hands than usual lately, I decided to give these a go while making some gifts for loved ones, and a few for myself as well.

My friend Mary forwarded me an email from fabrics-store.com, and I was immediately smitten. Their selection, quality, patterns, tutorials, every day pricing, and deep discount sales hooked me in. Many of these are accessible on their website for all to see, but once you purchase from them, you have access to all of it, including free down-loadable patterns. I had been curious to try linen towels. They had directions and a pattern for making bath towels, which was the perfect segue into my linen sewing spree.




Having always used plush, terry towels to  dry off, I quickly made one single bath towel to test it out. I was surprised how wicking the linen was and how quickly the towel dried after being used. I could see the benefits of this, especially if one lived in a humid area.




I couldn't wait to dive into trying my hand at hem stitching. The process is methodical and soothing, and I love the results! Here's the tutorial I used.




Creating the fringe and tassels is a great way to be productive while binging those favorite Netflix shows. Here's the tutorial for the fringe.




Since my sewing machine was already set up for mask making, my first order of IL019 bleached medium weight linen was sewn up likety split; and now I've just washed my second order: rustic natural, striped and daisy. These will make up some fun towel sets as Christmas gifts. I'm also considering making a slipcover for my couch. I've watched a few videos on how to do it, and it's a rather adventurous project for me. I'll be honest, I'm kind of terrified to try it! In the meantime, I'll make towels, sheets, blankets, scarves, shawls, and maybe a few clothing items all the while getting up the courage to give it a go.




This scarf doesn't need a sewing machine. I even ripped the long edges for a frayed look; then tasseled the ends.



You can just see the sunlight through the medium weight fabric, making it not too sheer yet not completely opaque.




No sewing machine required for this wrap, shawl either. It would also make a nice table topper or tablecloth for a smaller table. I used one yard of fabric.

I'm toying with the idea of making a top with Sonya Philip's Shirt No. 1 pattern with hem stitched arms and fringed hem. What do you think?




4 comments

  1. Hello again, I am the person with the Alabama Chanin questions. I recently stenciled Magdalena on lavender organic cotton with a backing of a cream color. Unfortunately, my stencil method was blurry at the edges, doh! I am wondering if I go ahead and stitch all of it, could I salvage it by then dying it indigo? I hate for all that work to be for naught! It's the A-line Factory Dress, I purchased it before I moved away from Florence. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chante~Sorry about your blurry edges. I feel your disappointment!

      A few things come to mind:
      1)Sometimes the blurry edges aren't as bad as you think, and when your item is all stitched and cut, they "disappear" into the design. There's a lot going on on that fabric!
      2)Add a random scattering of embroidered areas that work into the overall theme that cover up the worst spots; for example, add any number of Alabama eyelets, satin stitched shapes, applique tiny leaves, a combination of things, or whatever sprinkled about that strategically morph the blurriness into a design enhancement.
      3)With the reverse applique method, will using the chain stitch or other thicker stitch to outline the elements act to cover up most blurriness?
      4)Would doing the negative reverse applique and cutting away most of the lavender fabric (and the blurry edges with it) work for you? Your garment would then be mostly cream with the painted elements, and it would be lighter weight.
      5)Could you use a thick Sharpie pen or use a paintbrush to apply more fabric paint to outline the edges? I'd try this on a sample first, to make sure it worked right.

      Over-dying has saved a few of my garments for sure, but (at least for me) it's kind of an unknown, because the dye takes differently on the paint than the fabric. It would depend on what color your paint is. You could try a small sample to see if you liked it.

      Best of luck with your solution. Sometimes the fixing of something makes it even better. I hope that's the case for you.

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate your detailed answer. I am going to do suggestions 1 and 4. It's looking better already! If you ever have any more workshops please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Chante. I'm glad I was able to help. I'd love to know how it goes. Keep us posted!

      Delete