Wet-paint Stenciling 2



Oh, summer, with your lovely breezes and tranquil sounds of leaves rustling and birds chirping. Our morning was well-spent amongst these summer sounds while creating with paint, fabric and stencils. My first foray into wet-paint stenciling was near four years ago. You can read all the details here. Today we leaped a little further into color and layering.




We followed the directions in Natalie Chanin's Alabama Studio Style book. We used Createx, Tulip Colorshot, and Marabu Fashion Spray fabric paints on 100% organic cotton natural colored fabric from Alabama Chanin and Organic Cotton Plus, as well as some miscellaneous pieces. We'll see how they all wash and hold up over time.




The above piece was made from a stencil I created using the Marabu paint in blue and gray.













You can see the progression of the spread of paint really well in these photos.




The fabric below was painted with Tulip Colorshot Espresso Shimmer. It seems the "shimmer" part clumped up and splotched. An oops that we actually liked, so it was a happy mishap.







Turn up the volume and enjoy the birds chirping, leaves rustling, and the sound of the snap of the fabric on the clothesline.




or click here.

2 comments

  1. Thank you Patti! Enjoyed the little video and all the one-of-a-kind fabrics. Can't wait to see you transform these into garments; you are set for the winter. So it looks like there is a new paint Marabu and new technique to try. I bought a lot of Createx in many colors and was wondering what to do with them. Wet paint! Some color would be nice after all this black I have been working on. Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elsie~ The process is a fun summertime activity, and less precise, more loose than regular stenciling. I think you'll really like it!! I'm glad you liked my little video. I don't line dry things usually, and that snap of the fabric really made me nostalgic about line-drying clothes. I made the brighter pieces with my kids in mind as they like crazy tie-dye a lot. And the blue will be a simple summer dress. I may over-dye it first in tea, but still contemplating .....

      Delete