Nut Meal Recipes ~ One Savory, One Sweet



What to do when your favorite soy or nut milk is no longer available due to pandemic supply problems? Make your own. I had never tried making nut milk before, so I was surprised at how easy it was and how much better the flavor and texture was.




The more I made, the more nut meal I had to use in some creative, delicious way. There were a few recipes online, but none that fit the flavors I wanted or ingredients I had on hand. A cold, rainy day makes the perfect time for a grand baking experiment. Usually I never bake. Why? Because I'll just eat it all! I have no will power. But today was the exception, so I tried to keep it somewhat healthy. I do not know how many calories or what the nutritional values are. This is a baking experiment day, not a math day.

I made one savory and one sweet batch of batters with only ingredients I had in my pantry. I am pleased with the results, and happy that they are more than edible. I hope you enjoy them as well, or perhaps you can do a little experimenting of your own with what you have on hand.




                                                             Pumpkin Spice Mookies 
                                       (cross between a muffin and a cookie ~ yep, I just made that up)
                                       (edit: actually I didn't make it up because I just hashtagged it on IG and it's                                                        already a thing. Who knew?? I didn't until now.)

1 C nut meal (mine was dried and somewhat ground up like flour with a few lumps in it)
1 C pumpkin puree (about half a can)
1 old banana
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/3 C whole raw oats
1/3 C chopped pecans
1/3 C maple syrup
1/3 C coconut oil, in liquid form
1 egg

Mix all the ingredients together. The batter will be fluffy and slightly stiff, like cookie dough. On a parchment lined baking sheet, mound heaping tablespoons of batter. Cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until the outside crisps up a bit and begins to crack. Take them out of the oven and let them cool for about 15 minutes so they set up a tad before handling. I'm not sure how many it makes because we ate a few before I thought to count them. I think it makes about a dozen.




These mookies are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea.

Next up is savory ~ slightly spicy, depending on the salsa you use, dense and moist, yet the cornmeal gives it a nice crunchy tooth. 




                                                Chili Pumpkin Nut Meal Slices and Croutons

1 C nut meal (mine was dried and somewhat ground up like flour with a few lumps in it)
1 C pumpkin puree (about half a can) 
1 tablespoon Organic No Salt Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 C salsa verde
1/4 C olive oil
1 egg

Mix all the ingredients together. Pour the batter into a buttered 9" cake pan. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes. Cool on a rack. Once cooled, slice it up. If you would like croutons, dice some up and put into a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes and/or under a broiler for about 5 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the croutons cool down in the oven to further dry them out. 

I put the croutons in my salad ~ yum! Tonight I'll melt a bit of cheese on the slices and serve them with dinner.  

I'm happy to have used up a few languishing ingredients; and to have created some new, tasty treats while sheltering in place. 




Edit update: Rhubarb is in season, so I'm adding another recipe.

                                                         Rhubarb/Pear Coffeecake 

4 C rhubarb, stems only, 1/4" slices
1 pear, cubed
1 1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 1/2 C nut meal
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger (I used 1 cube of frozen ginger)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 C full fat coconut milk

Toss cut rhubarb with 1/4 C sugar. Add pear and mix. Butter 9" round cake pan, and dot with 1/2 stick of butter. Add rhubarb mixture. 

In a separate bowl, whisk nut meal, baking powder and salt.

In another bowl, beat remaining butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in ginger, lemon zest, and OJ. Beat in one egg at a time. Add vanilla. Add dry mix and blend. Add coconut milk and mix. 

Spread mixture onto rhubarb. Bake about an hour or so in a 350 degree oven. 













No comments