Alabama Chanin Unisex Shirt



Alabama Chanin Unisex Shirt, XXL, organic cotton jersey Earth over Black, Magdalena stencil, reverse applique and negative reverse applique techniques, modified length and neckline.




This shirt is an Alabama Chanin kit that I had left over from one of my classes. I was secretly hoping it would be available, because I love this color combination, and wanted to make this XXL size as sort of an oversized "boyfriend" style shirt. I cut off about 7 or 8 inches to make it a crop top.




I used this shirt for demonstrations in my last class. I had been wanting to try out a new technique to me, using a combination of both the reverse applique technique AND the negative reverse applique techniques together (I'm calling it inside out applique for short). I needed courage and asked the ladies in class if I should try it out, and they all wholeheartedly agreed I should. I'm glad they gave me the courage to give it a go, because I love the results.




 I did not apply the binding around the neck.




 Instead I simply folded the edge down and whip stitched along the neckline.




I may go back in and alter the neck, making it longer and deeper.




This is a great Fall transition piece and winter wearable. Here it is with the Alabama Chanin short fitted dress. The dress is black on black with the paisley stencil.




You can see here that the back of the unisex shirt is plain.

The unisex cropped top looks cute with black jeans, a black under t-shirt, and short black boots. Here it is with the fitted skirt. The skirt is earth, inked and quilted technique, with black binding at the bottom. The stencil is lovelace.




You can barely see it, but the back of the skirt dips down just a bit. Add a warm pair of black tights and some boots and you're ready to go!






6 comments

  1. Beautiful color combo and design. Love your inside out applique. Thank you, Patti. I think I will skip the couching technique and try this instead. Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsie. The inside out will be sooooo much faster and easier, with some great textural results! Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  2. Patti this is gorgeous!!! My monitor shows black over earth, right? I am wanting to copy this idea and was wondering about the color of the paint. Thank you so much for providing so many details, can't wait to get this started, thank you for all of your inspirational photos and descriptions. I missed you at the Denver Maker's Mart due to a conflict; I hope you grace our city again with your talents. Vicki D,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicki~ You are right, black over earth. I also love this combo. It just seems to go with everything. This was a kit, so I'm not quite sure what the paint was, but I would guess it was Alabama Chanin's brownie pearl. There is bit of silvery sparkle to it. I'm so glad you like the results. Please let me know how you progress! I'd love to see what you do; and let me know if you have any questions long the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Patti for the prompt reply. I will be sure to share with you when I complete my project, although it may not be until next year. I prepare my AC projects in November and December and complete my handwork when I over winter in Mexico Jan-April. Thank you again! Vicki D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, how exciting to think of you stitching away in warm Mexico!! And so smart to pre-prep many projects for your time there. I have another friend that pre-preps projects also, and I've always admired that. Perhaps this should be my New Year's resolution for 2018???

      Delete