Alabama Chanin corset sizing set




One of  my favorite things about visiting the Alabama Chanin Factory in Florence, Alabama was being able to try on all (and I mean ALL) of their gorgeous styles and sizes of clothing. I have to say their sizing chart is spot on, and it has never steered me wrong. But in our ready-made world of shopping, there is something rather unnerving about sewing for weeks or months without really knowing whether the finished item will truly fit.

While I'm not able to carry a whole store around with me to my classes, I wanted to be able to offer just a slice of my experience to my students. The corset is probably the most popular and timeless item from the Alabama Chanin collection, so I've been stitching up a "set" of corsets, sizes small through extra, extra large, for my students to try on at my classes. I'm hoping that seeing the flattering fit and feeling the quality of organic cotton will afford my students the confidence to have a go at stitching up their own wardrobe staple.


2 comments

  1. I'm certain you are on the right track! Seeing is believing. How long does it take you to do one corset without embellishment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I started with a kit, so the corset was already cut out. I would say around four hours to stitch one together. I think I'll start tracking my hours for a while. You've make me curious; and I think it would be very interesting to see how long it really takes to make things. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete