Beeswax Wraps


We're all trying to do our part to re-use, recycle, and not create so much waste. A few years ago I purchased a set of wax wraps by Meli Wraps. They're a nifty way to cover leftovers without using plastic wrap. They're not leak-proof or completely air tight, but in most cases they work very well and are environmentally friendly. Using the warmth of your hands, as you press the wrap onto your container, it will cling and mold to its shape. I've tried a couple different brands and found Meli Wraps far superior to the others. All the wax wraps I've used leave a slight waxy residue on my container that is easily washed off with soap and hot water. To wash the wraps, use cool water and soap and rub with your hands. Do not put them in the dishwasher, microwave, or use hot water. They are not recommended to use with raw meat. They should last about a year. 






I like to tinker and make. Since I enjoy encaustic wax painting, I had all the tools and ingredients on hand to make wax wraps myself. There are quite a few blog posts and Youtube videos explaining different methods of how to make wax wraps that are worth checking out. Some people used a foil lined pan in an oven. Some people used a double boiler to melt their wax. Some people did not use an iron, which might be a good method to try if you do not have a dedicated wax iron. There are also a variety of recipes for the wax mixture. My friend was ahead of the game and had already experimented with ratios and ingredients, so I was happy to use what worked best for her instead of reinventing the wheel. 


Wax recipe:

100 g beeswax

68 g damar resin

2T jojoba oil


She first tried pine resin, but found it was very pungent smelling and did not stick as well as the damar. I did not have jojoba oil and substituted coconut oil. The results seem very similar.


Tools I used:

electric griddle

oven thermometer

glass jar or metal container

foil

rags

meat tenderizer or hammer

clothes pins

small clothes line (I just used string)

stirring stick

paint brush (natural bristles so they won't melt)

wax iron (an iron without holes)

apron

thinner woven cotton fabric





Use pre-washed and ironed, thin woven cotton fabric for your wraps. If the fabric is too thick it will not be pliable and will be too cumbersome to meld onto your bowl or cup. I made an assortment of sizes: 4x4, 5x5, 8x10, 10x12. Use pinking shears to cut your pieces. The wax will seal the edges so they shouldn't fray. 





I have an electric griddle that I covered with foil. The wax/resin gets extremely sticky, so the foil is essential for cleanup. To clean my hands when I was done I put a little oil and rubbed it around then some soap. I use an oven thermometer on my griddle to maintain a temperature of about 200 degrees. You don't want it much hotter or you'll get smoke which means toxic fumes. I was in a cold garage, so my temperature while melting the mixture sometimes went up to 220.





Put the wax and oil in a metal container or glass jar, place it on the hot foil-lined griddle, and let that melt. If your resin is not in powdered form, crush it. Put the resin bag inside some rags and a paper bag and gently pound it with a hammer or the smooth side of a meat tenderizer.





You'll want to lightly add a tiny (about 1/4 teaspoon) sprinkling (not one big blob) of damar powder, then completely mix that into the melted wax/oil mixture. If the resin is in chunks it will be too difficult to dissolve. Don't rush it; keep adding a tiny bit of damar sprinkled on top, and stir, stir, stir to mix it in. It took me about 40 minutes and my friend almost an hour to completely mix the resin into the wax with no remaining lumps or gelatinous clumps. 






Once your wax/resin mixture is completely melted and incorporated, put a piece of fabric onto the heated foil to heat the fabric. Paint a thin layer of hot wax onto the fabric. I used wooden clothes pins to maneuver and flip the fabric. Paint a thin layer of wax onto the other side. You want the fabric completely saturated but not dripping.


I then placed a clean piece of fabric on top of the waxy fabric and lightly ironed to soak up excess wax. My first go around I ironed too much of the wax off and the fabric didn't quite stick enough so I had to go back and apply an additional layer of wax. It works just fine with the additional wax. I would suggest making one or two, then trying them out to make sure you've got the correct amount of wax. 






After you iron, use your clothes pins to peel the two pieces of fabric apart. Place the cleaner fabric back onto the foil and drape the saturated fabric over the clothesline (ie piece of string). The finished wrap will cool quickly, in less than a minute. While it's cooling, go back to your griddle and add your thin layer of wax to the fabric, flip over, and add a thin layer of wax. Top with another clean piece of fabric, iron, etc. and repeat. 






You can save any leftover wax in case you need to re-apply more wax later on to keep your wraps well primed and extend their longevity. I made about 25 pieces of assorted sizes with this recipe. 





I love the smell of the beeswax! These wraps smell lightly of honey, especially if they're sitting in sunshine or a warm room. I put together an assortment of sizes, wrapped in parchment paper, and popped them into my family's gift bags. 


I hope you enjoy this fun project.







No comments