Build a Bench




Benches can be quite versatile: Put one in front of the wood stove for cozy comfort; barricade a staircase to corral the dogs downstairs; slide one over to the dinner table to accommodate extra friends; keep one at the entryway so family can easily remove their shoes; place one near the windows for star gazing at night. Right now as I type my new bench is blocking the kitchen while we're training the dogs it's a no-go zone.




 

Staying home during Covid has given me time to research and complete projects that have been percolating over the years. A few Christmases ago I was gifted a bundle of the most beautiful fabric from a dear friend. It was woven at a women's cooperative in Antigua where she purchased it on her travels through Guatemala. My friend knew I would love it and find the perfect project to showcase it. 


We had a sturdy, solid wood board left over from another project that was just begging to be made into a bench. With a little research I found that most benches measure anywhere from 12-24" deep and 24-48" and longer. My board was 16" wide, and my husband cut it to 42" for me. I ordered sturdy wrought iron legs online, and wood screws since it did not come with any. 


There are many very good upholstering videos on youtube with all the details and tips from seasoned professionals in the upholstering business. After watching a few I got the gist of how it is done. I opted for a good quality 3" foam and quilt batting for my padding. I used spray adhesive, a staple gun, cordless drill, hammer, and that's about it. 


For this style of bench I preferred insetting the legs a little instead of placing them flush with the edge. I asked for opinions on Instagram about a couple details, and received some great feedback and ideas. Thank you, friends! My scraps of leather were too thin on their own. Luckily I had an old suede skirt that I bought at a thrift shop for a Halloween costume eons ago.  I cut wide strips of suede to use as the base and placed the thin leather strips on top. Just the look I was after, and I was able to use what I had on hand and avoid any shopping.





It feels good to finish a project that I've been thinking about for years, and finally utilize that gorgeous fabric so I can see and admire it every day. 






No comments