Simplicity 1080 dottie angel pattern





I have been following Tif Fussell aka dottie angel for years. Her lovely photos and lyrical writing style are music to the soul and a breath of fresh air. If you've not heard of her before, she's just opened a new website called curios.and.coe "a place for oddities & all sorts". Go have a look-see: I guarantee a most brilliant time!




I've been longing to make one of her frocks for years now. Thrilled that she launched her pattern with Simplicity a couple years ago, I quickly trotted down to the fabric store and purchased one. There was no reason to be quick about it though, because time was not on my side, and it sat neglected, tucked away in my pattern basket in the closet.

A small window of time opened up, so I dug that sweet pattern out and took the first step and made a basic sample for sizing purposes. The top is always the iffy part for me, hence I made a blouse instead of a whole dress. I used view C, just the upper portion. Since I was using cotton jersey fabric, I reduced the seam allowance to 1/4"; didn't use bias tape on any of the seams; or sew any French seams. The pattern was easy to cut out, easy to follow, and easy to adjust to the jersey fabric (perhaps because I left all the tricky bits out???).




I usually fall between a small and medium, so I tried making a small. Not a good choice. I should have followed the chart more closely and made the medium. The ties were too high up on the chest, and I ended up taking them off. Instead of reattaching them lower, I tried wearing the top loosely. I quite liked it! Mistake saved, comfortable play shirt created. I attached some binding at the neck and the sleeve with a simple criss-cross stitch.




When I get my shipment of fabric in, I plan to finally make a complete dress, in the correct size! I'm still mulling over colors and patterns and what to put where. I'll post when I finally have my finished dottie angel dress to show, hopefully sooner than later......




No comments