Long Neclaces



Long necklaces ~

Many years ago I purchased a stunning strand of gorgeous turquoise. I saved it, waiting for the perfect project to present itself. While putting together my outfit for my 50th birthday, I knew exactly what I needed ~ a necklace and pair of earrings made with this most beautiful turquoise.







You may also wear the necklace like this.




That was three years ago. I can't believe how time flies! I really do love this set, but most of the time I opt for something a little more subtle and less chunky. So today I decided to put together just that.




It's a long necklace, about 70" with a 2 1/2" pendant, and hits just above my belly button. It's simple leather. I used spacer beads, and threaded brass chain (about 3 1/2" per side or 14 links) onto the leather, another spacer bead, then finished with a fold over cord end. The luscious turquoise is the focal point, and a tiny PMC charm dangles below.


Here's a detailed shot.


While I had my supplies out, I made a second long necklace with really pretty chrysoprase. Don't you love that color?




For this necklace I used copper wire to attach the chrysoprase onto links I had made eons ago in Stephanie Lee's class at Art & Soul. They're brass wire and solder! I've used these links over the years in many jewelry designs, and I still love them today.




The links bunch together like this while you're wearing it. You could knot the leather around the links if you wanted them to stay separate, but I like the way they cluster.

These necklaces came together in less than a couple hours with supplies I had on hand. You could make your own version of a leather long necklace with supplies from your local craft store and perhaps a few special pieces you might have from old broken necklaces or keepsakes. I hope you give it a go.

Happy making!

2 comments

  1. So cool! You are so amazingly creative! I love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana~ Thank you so much.I'm glad you like them!

      Delete