Lovely Alabama Chanin poncho



Lovely Alabama Chanin Poncho~

I've just completed stitching the most beautiful Alabama Chanin poncho, ballet over natural 100% organic cotton jersey, in the Magdalena pattern. I promised Rhonda Fargnoli, the Education Director at Makers' Mercantile in Kent, Washington, that I would sew and Fed Ex this poncho ASAP to add to her display for our upcoming one-day workshop, Hand Stitching and Embellishing The Alabama Chanin Way on June 4th.


Shown with short side worn forward.


Rhonda, I am having difficulty parting with this garment! A tiny tug of war is going on, and its a bit of a struggle taping up the box and sending this gem off to you. I know, I know, a promise is a promise, and this pretty shall soon be speeding its way up to your awaiting hands. I'm just so delighted with the beauty, drape, and shape of the poncho. I can't wait for our class, and to share this delight with fellow sewers in the making and wearing of such a lovely garment.


Stitched and mid way through cutting, negative reverse applique.


A more detailed shot.


It took around 20-25 hours to complete this poncho.


Even the back side is pretty.


This is before washing. Notice how the edges aren't curled up yet.


After one washing the edges begin to curl. 


For more information on this class and many others, please contact Rhonda at Makers' Mercantile, 253.220.9951 or Rhonda@makersmercantile.com.


.



9 comments

  1. Found Maker's Mercantile after reading your blog. What a gem in an unlikely place. Your samples were spectacular. Thank you. Elsie, Portland Class of 2015

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elsie~ I'm so happy you found Makers' Mercantile. I can't wait to visit next month and meet everyone in person. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What colors have you used here...it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ballet over natural, and using dogwood thread. This is one of the new colorways for the Alabama Chanin kits in their workshops. I agree, it is so pretty! A number of ladies tried it on at the workshop, and it was very flattering on everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My monitor makes the natural look like light blue....I'm thinking of doing a light color like taupe or sand on top of navy....but i really like your combo of darker on light...hmn...maybe I'll order some more AC fabric! Thanks for the info! You're my inspiration to get moving on a new poncho! Xx

      Delete
    2. It's so hard to choose; right? With the navy/taupe or sand colors, the stencil pattern will be forefront and bold: It will really pop. The ballet/natural is more soft and subtle. Both combos are great. If you go to my Pinterest board, https://www.pinterest.com/patticalande/alabama-chanin-esque/ there are a couple of examples in the very beginning (and a few more if you keep.....on...scrolling, sorry the board is so large) of what looks like navy and a lighter color. I like to pin different color combinations to get an idea of what colors look like together, and this often helps me decide. Let me know what you choose,and please keep me posted on your progress. I so enjoy hearing what others are making and being inspired by their projects.

      Delete
  5. May I inquire what fabric paint you used for this project? I have both the ballet and the natural fabric and have been working up a bolero, but I love the way this poncho turned out and think I might copy your technique for a fitted dress to go under the bolero. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello~ Yes, I'll ask at the Factory and see what color paint they used. Since it was sprayed at the Factory, it will be a mixture of Createx paint used with the Badger airbrush. I'll post their response here as soon as I get their answer.
      Will you be using the airbrush? If not, if I were to try to replicate the paint, I would use Simply Spray in Sand or Camel; or Tulip Color Shot in Brown Cafe (which might be too dark) or Rose Gold Shimmer. I would first sample the color on some scrap fabric, because the paint colors will vary when applied to different color fabrics.
      Thanks for the question. I'm excited to see how your dress turns out!

      Delete
    2. The color the Factory uses is Ecru.

      Delete